Thursday, February 18, 2010

Why are Doctors so frustrating?!

So, I am 34 weeks pregnant now, and since I will be having a cesarean, I only have 5 more weeks till the little one arrives.  I went in for a Drs. Appt. yesterday, and the first thing my Dr. says when he walks into the room is, so a third c-section huh?  I look at him and say "Yup"!
" Thats very dangerous" he says, "Is this going to be your last?"
I told him my husband and I are planning on one more, then we'll be done.  He goes on to tell me how dangerous it is, and that I should not have anymore kids after this one. (Obviously I am aware of the dangers, but really, I shouldn't have anymore kids?) I told him that both my mother and step mother have had 4 c section and are both fine.  But he just continues to say how dangerous it would be for me to consider that, and he finishes off the conversation apologizing for bumming me out.  Really?  I was a bit in shock after all of this, and wasn't really sure what to think.  I tried to just forget about it, but how could I? Someone just told me I shouldn't have anymore children.  It would be so much different if during my surgery he noticed my uterus was really thin, or the scarring was really bad or something like that, but this man has no idea how I have healed, and has no reason to tell me any of those things at this point in time.
Last night, I was up all night tossing and turning, because I couldn't get it out of my head.  I was angry, frustrated, and extremely nervous (and still am), to know this man, who to me doesn't seem confident in me or himself, will be cutting me open.  It almost makes me sick to my stomach.
I called the Drs Office today, to see if I could see the other Dr. for me next visit, and after a few hours they finally called back and set me up with an appointment to see him, thank goodness! So, now I just have to wait and see if he'd be comfortable preforming the surgery for me. And if not, I am seriously considering driving to Pullman, to have the same dr. who has done my other surgeries, do this one.  Sad, I know, but my Dr. really has me freaked out!!!  Why do they have to be so stupid!

8 comments:

Ashley Millward said...

Oh my gosh, that is a terrible thing to say. I could understand it AFTER this child is born and you are not healing well. Who is your doctor now and who will you be seeing soon? Keep us updated! I will keep you in my prayers.

DJ and Melissa said...

I definitely suggest changing doctors. You want someone in your corner, and someone with similar beliefs as you about c sections. Good luck!

Trista said...

Oh my...that was definitely not professional of him. And yeah, I hear ya...I am NOT a super picky doctor person, but we've been through 3 pediatricians and the only reason we're staying w/ the one we have is b/c the nurse is amazing, not the doctor. And I gave up completely on finding a good doctor for me--NOBODY can compare to what I left in Pullman. :(

Scott & Jess said...

Thank you all for being on my side, I was worried I was over reacting a bit maybe... But I don't think I am, he shouldn't have said that to me. This is the Dr. that told me a VBAC is way too dangerous, because the chances of the baby dying are way too high....and now it's too dangerous for me to have a c-section?
Trista, I love our Drs from Pullman, we've had to "settle" with a Dr too because there really no one as amazing as them. I wish we could just take them with us where ever we go!:)

CarrieAnne said...

I am sorry Jess that the Doctor was so stupid. You will be just fine, just find a doctor that you like and stick with him, even if that means Pullman! We are cheering for you and praying for you!

Child of God said...

That would be so so frustrating. I suggest also getting a second opinion on how many c-sections. I know its different for each woman, but with no idea about your healing or your lining, he can't just makes statements like that out of no where. You could come to Spokane, my doctor is amazing, just amazing. He is completely supportive of my VBAC or a Cesearan. He even told me that I could probably have 3 more no problems. 2 easily no problems. And Jess if you know your not done. You'll have another one, one way or another.

The Turner Family said...

What dr. did you go to???? That's so crazy. By the way, I personally had 5 c-sections and I'm still here!!! That's pretty upsetting to be that close to delivery day and have that kind of a problem. :(

kjSmith said...

I have had 5 c-sections and luckily for me my doctors wife had had 7 so he was completely supportive. That was absurd that he would give that kind of advice before even doing surgery on you.