Sunday, May 1, 2011

Old McDonald had a Dairy Farm



The last two weekends we have taken the boys down to the Hadley dairy farm.  Jackson absolutely loves the animals and wants to "be a farmer" when he grows up.  Joshua was scared near to death on his first outing but now feels comfortable around the calfs and lambs.  Being accustomed to city life I (Scott) had to get my hands a little dirty.  Wearing my tennis shoes and gym shorts Matt had me get a newborn calf and carry him to his new pen...I frankly looked awesome undertaking this manly task and had matt take a picture (above).  After getting the calf Jackson helped Matt feed the calf with colostrum.  Jackson, with the guidance of Matt stuck a two foot metal tube down the calf's mouth and helped squeeze down the calf's food (below).



After feeding the calf colostrum Jackson clipped the chain on the calf's collar inside his new home.  We also passed out bottles for the many other calfs that were housed in various white huts.  I hand fed one calf (again I looked awesome performing this manly task).



It was a good experience for the boys to see where their food comes from, to see what work goes into running a dairy.  Below are some other pictures of our time on the dairy.

 Andrew in the Lamb pen

 Jessica making out with a newborn lamb

 Jackson is a natural

 Although this lamb was cute, it was covered in crap.

 Jackson a week old calf

Dad and a slightly nervous Josh

No comments: